PCEP – Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer Certification


After a nice Christmas break, I am starting on the PCEP – Certified Entry-Level Python Programmer Certification to improve my Python skillset. 

I started out using A Cloud Guru as they served me so well on the AWS CCP, however, I feel really let down by their PECP Course. As a Python beginner, the course moves along VERY quickly so you do not always get an understanding of the fundamentals. I also have a couple of questions for ACG which havent been answered. 

  1. Is the material still relevant to the certification? The material seems to be from Linux Academy so should I be looking at this or a more up to date course, 

  2. The Tutor has you setup on a remote server which is part of the ACG 'PlayGround'. This was working fine until about step 5 and after that, it just failed to work. I spent 2 or 3 hours trying to get it to work but to no avail. I then contacted ACG as I say, still no response after about two weeks. 

With that in mind, I had a google to see what other resources were out there and I was pointed to the Python Institute. They provide free training for all their Python certifications and so far (I'm just nearing the end of module 2) its been a brilliant course. 


Material is well written, access to a Sandbox as well so you can play around until your heart is content. I also have a copy of Python Programming for the absolute beginner. The book is about 10 years old but so far seems really relevant to everything I am trying to do. If I am having an issue with something in the Institute training course, Ive looked it up in the book and it helps reinforce the knowledge. 


For the hands on skills, I am using the sandbox from the course but I have also installed Visual Studio Code 2 to get typing and really get hands on and get the knowledge nailed down. 


Finally, I have created a GitHub Repo and synched this to VSCode 2 so I can push my code up as I write. I have added the link to the Repo to my CV and hopefully as my Python skills improve, I can use GitHub as a way of showcasing those skills. It also gives me hands on experience with Git/GitHub which is an added bonus. 


The Git Repo can be found here



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2022

Things change so quickly!

AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner Certified